Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pinterest in the Classroom

Pinterest is one of the most popular social media sites today, and teachers are falling in love with it. They use it to help put together lesson plans, bulletin boards, newsletters, and activities for their classrooms, as well as share ideas with other teachers and parents. Teachers also encourage students to use it in class for projects and brainstorming papers because Pinterest is a site used for bookmarking. It's a great way to keep all of your ideas as well as information you need all in one place.
In my Educational Technology class, we were required to create a Pinterest board to help us create an assignment that followed one of the frameworks in our specialization, which is Family and Consumer Sciences for me. We had to use ten original pins and ten repins in our assignments. I chose the framework 2.9.1 Match types of family structures with components of each.
Arkansas Family and Consumer Science Framework
Here's a few of the original pins on my board
Here's a few of my repins

I found a great activity on a website that I changed up a bit. In this activity, the students were required to create a diagram on a plate telling about a TV family of their choosing and what family structure category they fall under. Here's the link to my assignment: Plate Us Out Assignment

We were also required to finish the assignment as if we were the students, so here is the process of the assignment created. As one of my favorite shows with a unique family structure, I chose Baby Daddy. Students were required to choose a TV family and research the following things: what type of family structure they have, family member names and identities, family challenges, advantages and positive characteristics, and why you think they are what structures they are. 
Research on the TV family.
Items I used
Dividing the plate up
Choosing the family picture with all characters included
Of course all sections will be filled out when the plate is finished, but you get the idea. 
The students will then present their completed plates to the class and tell about their TV family!

This assignment for Ed Tech was a very different approach to organizing and planning a lesson, but I really enjoyed it. I never thought about using Pinterest in the classroom, but now I know! It's a great way to organize all of your thoughts and resources in one place. 

You can follow me on Pinterest here!

No comments:

Post a Comment